Ask a question to other Boomeraters!

See other questions in the Financial & Legal forum

"Advice on gifting"

  • LauraS
    Posted: Jun 26, 2011 03:06 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Great Neck, NY
    View Profile

    Would paying off the principal on a child's Stafford college or grad school loan be excluded from the 2011 limit of $13000 for gifting?


  • #1
    Boom Staff
    Posted: Oct 03, 2011 03:13 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Boom Staff
    New York, NY
    View Profile

    As per information from Turbo Tax, payments to 529 state tuition plans are considered gifts, so you can exclude up to the annual $13K only. However, you can give up to $65,000 in one year (without using a portion of your tax exemption) if you agree that you will not make another gift to that child in the four years following.

    In terms of a Stafford loan or a graduate school loan (that is not part of a 529 state tuition plan), we recommend speaking with a financial planner for the particulars about the Stafford loan in your state. If you don't have a financial planner/advisor, you can find one in your area by visiting

    - Submitted by Boomerater Staff

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)



Looking for a financial advisor?

Search our extensive database of over 3,500 advisors from both independent and large firms.

Enter your zipcode below

Or use this link to find a financial advisor or find a lawyer