See other questions in the Housing & Community forum

"Home Rental"

• ladytraveler
    Posted: Nov 30, 2010 01:50 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    ladytraveler
    Springfield, MA
    View Profile

I'm 63 and will be retireing in a few years. My husband has passed and I have one child left, age 12. The last few years have been a real struggle. My house is like an albatross around my neck, I can't wait to sell it and move out of cold New England. I dearly wish to move to Savannah, Ga., rent a small 2 bedroom house, raise my dogs and last child and just take it easy. As a foster parent over the last 30+ years with over 300 children going thru my home, sometimes 6 at a time, I am tired.

Is this a realistic idea? My husband left me with nothing but the house that was remortgaged. I'm not sure I can get more than I owe on the house. It's a beautiful 8 room colonial, 1930 est., (do people trade houses anymore) My husbands idea of financial planning was the house, so I'm left with straight Social Security and what ever partime job I can get, a small adoption stipend for my daughter and thats about it, no, I raise AKC West Highland White Terriers. 2 litters per year bring in about $5000.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm not afraid of work, but I did have a heart attack 2 years ago, so, no jumping out of airplanes.

I am grateful to any suggestions and ideas,

Lady

Replies

elainejoyce
    Posted: Jun 13, 2012 07:09 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    elainejoyce
    Las Vegas, NV
    View Profile

If you Google Savannah, Ga, City-Data has some insight on living there. It seems there is a high crime rate.

Is this the only area you're interested in?

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)

Looking for the perfect place to relocate?

Read reviews of towns written by other Boomeraters to help make your decision.

Find your perfect town, search for senior living or home care