Ask a question to other Boomeraters!

See other questions in the Financial & Legal forum

"gift tax"

  • Downey
    Posted: Apr 09, 2010 05:11 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Miami, FL
    View Profile

    My Mother is giving me $48,000 to pay off my mortgage. I talked briefly to a cpa and he said the gift tax thing would not be a problem. Does anyone know about this?



  • #1
    Posted: May 10, 2010 11:33 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Mount Airy, MD
    View Profile

    It's not really a problem, but you should file a gift tax form 709 with the IRS each year for any gift over $13,000 (2009 or 2010). The amount above $13,000 is deducted from your allowance of 1 million dollars in a lifetime. So you don't owe any gift tax until you used up the entire million, but this is how the IRS wants you to keep track of it.

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)



Looking for a financial advisor?

Search our extensive database of over 3,500 advisors from both independent and large firms.

Enter your zipcode below

Or use this link to find a financial advisor or find a lawyer