Ask a question to other Boomeraters!

See other questions in the Financial & Legal forum

"Social Security Benefits Question"

  • Scooter
    Posted: Nov 04, 2009 02:18 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Walnut Creek, CA
    View Profile

    I am 59 and worked for 29 years until I became disabled in 1999 and began collecting Social Security Disability benefits. My ex-spouse, to whom I was married for 14 years, is turning 62 this month. Years after we divorced, I got remarried to a man 10 years my junior so he is presently 49. Is it possible for me to collect social security benefits through my former husband now rather than having to wait until I'm 62?


  • #1
    Ken Clamurro
    Posted: Jan 12, 2010 01:38 AM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Ken Clamurro
    Folsom, CA
    View Profile

    Hey, Scooter. Happy New Year...........

    Now, the bad news. Probably not. First, you've remarried to someone other than your former spouse. Next, even if you had not done so, you're still too young.

    Go to, keyword divorce.

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)



Looking for a financial advisor?

Search our extensive database of over 3,500 advisors from both independent and large firms.

Enter your zipcode below

Or use this link to find a financial advisor or find a lawyer