Ask a question to other Boomeraters!

See other questions in the Family & Relationships forum

"Multi-generation households"

• TheBestLife
    Posted: Jan 22, 2009 03:55 PM
    TheBestLife
    Richmond, VA
    Phil writes a blog for the U.S. News & World Report called The Best Life.

Recession belt-tightening is boosting multi-generation households as families look for ways to cut costs. Are you part of such a household or considering one, and what's your advice to others who may be thinking about it?

Replies

Boomerguy
    Posted: Jan 27, 2009 10:29 AM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Boomerguy
    Cincinnati, OH
    View Profile

After my daughter's divorce she and her young son moved in with me. It worked well for all of us. Then she met the man she would marry. Shortly before the wedding her fiance learned he was being transferred to Cincinnati Ohio. I couldn't imagine living across the country from my only child and grandchild. I was delighted when my daughter and son-in-law asked if I would like to live with them. I sold my home and chipped in on the cost of their new house so they could get something a little bigger, with a separate "suite" for me. It has worked out very well. With the money I saved on my house I am helping pay household expenses, property taxes and starting a college fund for my grandson. I pitch in every way I can. I pick my grandson up at school and watch him while my daughter's at work. I also am his soccer coach. I used to play cards with my grandparents whenever they visited and we've followed the same tradition. My son's friends frequently show up to get in on the game with "Coach". I also am active in our local senior center so I can be around people my own age. I know it doesn't work out this well for all families. You have to have a clear understanding up front and be willing to be flexible.

Starbuck
    Posted: Jan 28, 2009 02:42 PM
    Starbuck
    Fort Lee, NJ
    View Profile

My mom moved in recently.. (her property taxes were raised, and her investments tanked).

initially there were some issues because we only had room for her on second floor.. so had to buy her a stair lift. that was fine but its been a challenge for the family to adjust. Mom iis pretty outspoken regarding how we raise our teenage daughter. It's great that my wife and mom get along OK, and that my daughter is pretty resilient.

So my only concern is what happens when Mom has health issues that make it hard for us to care for her?

Joy Griffin
    Posted: Feb 04, 2010 05:30 PM
    Joy Griffin
    Naperville, IL
    View Profile

http://www.makewayformom.com

has a cost calculator to help with the decision of becoming a multi-generation household, living seperately, utilizing a caregiver, or assisted living

there are a lot of issues people don't think about when initially considering becoming a multi-gen house, but making sure everyone still has their own space and privacy is really important

tsol
    Posted: May 08, 2010 04:59 PM
    tsol
    Los Angeles, CA
    View Profile

Please help!

I am currently completing my doctorate dissertation, and I really need your help.

In order to gain the most insight into the topic of Aging, I would like to collect as much information as possible, so your participation is not only greatly appreciated but also very valuable. Your participation in this study will take a few minutes of your time and is done entirely by answering on-line questionnaires. The questionnaires can be accessed by clicking on the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JFPHFST

In order to be eligible for the survey, you must be 65 and older.

Participation is voluntary and all participants are eligible for a lottery with a $50.00 prize.

All information collected is anonymous and you will not be asked for identifying information at any time. The results are not intended to serve as a professional clinical diagnosis.

Your participation is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time and the valuable information. Please forward this e-mail to anyone that may be interested in participating in this study.

Thank you again,

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)

Caring Solutions

Boomeraters recommend these products to improve the health and happiness of parents and elderly relatives.

See other top Caring Solutions products