See other questions in the Family & Relationships forum

"Need quality home care for father-in-law"

• HollyT
    Posted: Jan 18, 2009 01:41 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    HollyT
    Sarasota, FL
    View Profile

We need to hire a care giver for my father-in-law. He is not ready to leave his home to go to assisted living. He can not drive and has some memory issues. Does anyone have tips on the best way to go about getting quality care?

Replies

bigsis
    Posted: Jan 19, 2009 09:24 AM
    bigsis
    PITTSBURGH, PA
    View Profile

Use a reliable agency and get references. Also make sure the hours, responsibilities, etc. are all in writing, and go over the list thoroughly with the caregiver and agency. You might even want a lawyer to draw up a letter of agreement. AARP lists questions you should ask and has links that include resources for agencies.

Laurens
    Posted: Jan 21, 2009 08:31 AM
    Laurens
    Tampa, FL
    View Profile

I agree with bigsis. And when you get the references make sure to call them yourself with prepared questions about the candidate. Also, once you have hired someone, I suggest you stop in unannounced at different times of the day. That will give you a chance to see first-hand the kind of care he's getting. If you don't live near him, please ask a friend or neighbor to check in, at least during the first few months.

NonnaB
    Posted: Apr 21, 2009 01:53 PM
    NonnaB
    Staten Island, NY
    View Profile

Holly T, A good place to start your search for in-home health care is eldercarelink.com. They can refer you to pre-screened, local providers for your dad. It doesn't cost you anything and they have 50,000 listings for all kinds of health care services, including meals, adult day-care, home care, assisted living, companions, etc. You fill out a survey that will assess your needs so they can match you up to the best solution for your dad. Good luck, I hope this helps.

carvell
    Posted: Jul 03, 2009 01:52 AM
    carvell
    Broken Arrow, OK
    View Profile

I understand your problem. This can be really tricky. It is lot of hard work to find the right person. I too had similar problem, had taken help of <a href="http://www.oxford-healthcare.com/" title="home care tulsa">home care tulsa</a>services and they could help me to find the right care giver.

I suggest you to go through your local directory and take help of reliable agency. Best of luck!

Molly
    Posted: Aug 04, 2009 02:37 PM
    Molly
    Dallas, TX
    View Profile

There are always some folks who have great results when they hire independent workers themselves, but for various reasons it's usually safer and much less stressful to hire a non-medical home care agency and let them match your father up with a caregiver(s). You will usually have to commit to at least 3 or four hours at a time. They will take care of doing background and drug checks, will pay Social Security taxes and will be insured and bonded. Call your local Area Agency on Aging for a few referrals.

Glenn
    Posted: Aug 17, 2009 01:34 AM
    Glenn
    New York, NY
    View Profile

MY FATHER IN-LAW MOVED IN AS THEY COULD NOT AFFORD THEIR HOUSE ANYMORE, NO PENTION, GETS SS BUT HE SAYS MOST OF IT GOES ON HIS MEDS. MY FAULT AS I ALWAYS WANT TO HELP AND SUGGESTED THE INLAW QUATERS. SOME OF THE MONEY WENT IN THE IN-LAW QUARTERS, BUT SAYING THAT, MY INLAWS HAD NO RENT, ELECTRIC, PHONE, CABLE BILLS, WE PAID ALL THAT. WITH BAD TIMES WE HAD TO SELL THE HOUSE AND MOVE IN THE BEACH HOUSE AS WE COULD NOT AFFORD TWO MORTGAGES. OUR OTHER HOUSE SOLD IN 6 WEEKS WHERE WHEN WE TRIED TO SELL THE SHORE HOUSE IT TOOK ALMOST 2 YEARS. ANYWAY THIS IS WHERE WE ARE AT NOW. HE'S GREAT WHEN HE IS NOT AROUND ALL THE TIME AND WE JUST VISITED HIM IN HIS HOME. FIVE YEARS AGO WE BUILT INLAW QUATERS (STILL WAS TOUGH BUT REALLY TOUGH NOW THAT HE IS IN THE HOUSE). I KNOW IT IS NOT FAIR TO HIM TO MOVE BACK AND FORTH BUT HE ALSO WANTED THIS AS HE HAS FAMILY AT THE OTHER SONS AND MORE ACTIVITIES THERE TO DO.

http://www.caringuk.com/

Joy Griffin
    Posted: Feb 04, 2010 05:36 PM
    Joy Griffin
    Naperville, IL
    View Profile

I recommend using a company, not an agency, so that the caregivers are managed. Home Instead Senior Care has been great, and they have offices all over the world: www.homeinstead.com

Here's a list of questions to ask when doing your search:

Is the agency or company licensed, bonded and insured in the state?

Do caregivers speak English?

Do you run background checks on your caregivers?

Who is responsible for the caregiver’s taxes and social security?

Are caregivers covered by worker’s compensation insurance in case they are injured in my home?

What are your hourly (or live-in) rates:

o Weekdays

o Weekends

o Shift Differential

o Transportation Charge

o Any Additional Charges (such as placement fees)

What is the procedure for billing and payment of services?

What can we expect from a caregiver?

Is there someone at the company to answer my questions or concerns at all times?

Are the caregivers supervised? If yes, is there an additional charge for this?

Are your caregivers managed?

Do you have a social worker on staff?

What happens when my caregiver takes time off or gets sick?

How long does it take to staff a job?

What kind of training does your company provide?

Do you provide any specialty training for Alzheimer’s to your caregivers?

Are you able to reach an office member at night / on weekends for any problems?

Do you charge for an assessment?

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)

Caring Solutions

Boomeraters recommend these products to improve the health and happiness of parents and elderly relatives.

See other top Caring Solutions products