See other questions in the Health & Fitness forum

"Need lower prices on prescription drugs"

• Dottie
    Posted: Dec 12, 2008 01:08 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    Dottie
    Joliet, IL
    View Profile

I can't afford the rising costs of my prescriptions. I have friends in the same boat who have stopped taking their meds, or are splitting pills, or are taking them every other day. I know this can be dangerous so I'm asking if anyone can offer cost-cutting tips.

Replies

NJgolfer
    Posted: Dec 15, 2008 09:48 AM
    NJgolfer
    Morristown, NJ
    View Profile

Hi Dottie, whatever you do, don't change how often you take your medications. DO opt for generics whenever you can. Also, check out the price at your local grocery store pharmacies for generics. The cost of my meds went from a $20 co-pay PER MONTH at a national drug store chain to $9.99 for 3 months at the grocery. Plus, it does not even go through my health insurance plan. For two prescriptions I am saving almost $400 per year.

NonnaB
    Posted: Dec 15, 2008 06:44 PM
    NonnaB
    Staten Island, NY
    View Profile

I saved a lot of money going to the grocery pharmacy for my generic prescriptions... one word of advice - you will need to have your doctor convert your 30-day prescriptions to 90 days to take advantage of the supermarket pharmacy deals.

Laurens
    Posted: Dec 16, 2008 01:31 PM
    Laurens
    Tampa, FL
    View Profile

Pill splitting is OK for some prescriptions but can be dangerous for others, especially time-released drugs. You should talk to your doctor. And as mentioned already, if you can take generics you will save a lot of money.

Laurens
    Posted: Dec 16, 2008 01:31 PM
    Laurens
    Tampa, FL
    View Profile

Pill splitting is OK for some prescriptions but can be dangerous for others, especially time-released drugs. You should talk to your doctor. And as mentioned already, if you can take generics you will save a lot of money.

TheBestLife
    Posted: Feb 15, 2009 06:01 PM
    TheBestLife
    Richmond, VA
    View Profile

Check out the generic $4 prescription program at Wal-Mart and other chains. If you're not sure whether your drug is available in generic form, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has a generic equivalency tool at http://www.fda.gov/cder/info/consumer_generic.htm. You can find further details in a piece I wrote for U.S. News & World Report on Tips to Cut Your Drug Costs at http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-best-life/2008/12/9/tips-to-cut-your-drug-costs.html.

PharmerDon
    Posted: Mar 03, 2009 06:18 PM
    PharmerDon
    Duncan, SC
    View Profile

Sign up for a free pharmacy prescription discount card at www.pharmerdon.com

marty
    Posted: Jul 20, 2009 09:39 AM
    marty
    Deerfield, IL
    View Profile

Call me i can help you. My service is free. 888-949-0076

Jerome7
    Posted: Jul 20, 2009 01:39 PM
    Jerome7
    Shingle Springs, CA
    View Profile

What I have found is there are a few good discount prescription systems out there if a person spends the time looking. What I have found and have been using not only saves me over $60 a month using their National Prescription Discount Card is I also save a lot of money each month using their Grocery Discounts and Restaurant Discounts. I save well over $100 a month and I can get my prescription filled at the store I shop at saving travel expenses and time.

This is like a discount package that has discounts on things I buy every month and I get free services I also use. If anyone is interested they can read about it here http://tinyurl.com/mmnej5

I am using services that before I could never afford and with the food and other discounts I get I can now afford to eat out once in a while [with a discount] and buy books I like with their discounts also.

Avery
    Posted: May 17, 2011 12:52 PM
    Avery
    Fontana, CA
    View Profile

Use generic drugs. They are cheap and affordable. Or Sign up with pharmacies who gives discount on repeated purchase or give discount coupons on repeated purchases.

dudebra
    Posted: Mar 13, 2012 11:36 AM
    dudebra
    Fullerton, CA
    View Profile

You can print out a Free discount Prescription Drug card on the site below:

www.caprxprogram.org/Aaron

The CAP card has saved me and my family thousands of dollars, and they work everywhere. It's a shame more people don't know about it.

speerezz
    Posted: Mar 20, 2013 03:19 PM
    speerezz
    Fort Worth, TX
    View Profile

http://www.rxoutreach.org/ has $20 cost on many 180 day supplies of meds like lisinopril, lipitor, Glucose meter for free , $10 with 50 strips, etc. http://www.myrxcoupons.com/ gives you coupons for copay assistance, Sanofi Adventis – Insulin / (Lantus )

Eli Lilly- Insulin/ (Humalog / Zyprexa ) Coupon/ Vouchers 1-866-923-1953

Copay Assist Payments Partnership for Prescription Assisance (PPA) 1-888-477-2669

Merck – Janumet / Januvia / Proventil Inhaler / Singulair

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)

Fit for Life

Boomeraters recommend these products to help you stay healthy, fit and safe.

See other top Fit For Life products