See other questions in the Housing & Community forum

"What Universities are set up for a boomer community on campus?"

• rperhamus
    Posted: Oct 30, 2008 09:21 PM
    Flag for inappropriate language
    rperhamus
    Upland, CA
    View Profile

I want to return to college full time. I want to create a community of boomers on the best college campuses. Where can I find others who would also want to join me? I want shared housing arrangements, co housing, or fractional real estate ownership. I want public transportation, where walking, biking, shared cars, buses and trains good enough to get by without owning a car. I have an MBA. I might get a PhD. Who sets up the programs to do this, including personal financial planning, real estate planning, campus housing for boomers? Who do I call?

Replies

Niftyfifty
    Posted: Nov 12, 2008 12:28 PM
    Niftyfifty
    Charleston, SC
    View Profile

Hi, i'm not sure if i follow exactly what you are asking, but i came across this site today and thought it might be valuable... http://www.campuscontinuum.com/

it seems like they put together communities based around unviersities... is this what you are thinking?

let me know your thoughts and i can brainstorm further

Niftyfifty
    Posted: Nov 12, 2008 12:31 PM
    Niftyfifty
    Charleston, SC
    View Profile

also you might like to check out the Student Affairs or Student Life departments at universities you are exploring... they may offer resources, funding or other help that could assist you

rperhamus
    Posted: Nov 12, 2008 02:26 PM
    rperhamus
    Upland, CA
    View Profile

Thanks,

I have looked, and talked with them at the campus continuum business model. They are more of a real estate development firm for active retire communities.

I think I am looking for student services for universities for 50+. For example, people at 50, go back to college, get a regular new degree, regular classes, etc. and start a new career for the next 30+ years. They need housing, financial aid, academic advisors, job place services, etc. -just as though they were 20 again. My research so far, indicates that universities are geared only towards the youth market, or perhaps the night time (executive markets), not full time resident university lifestyle. Community Colleges, are not a lifestyle. There are several barriers to entry. I think I will have to start up a non profit, private sector student services the segment I am referring to .

Thanks for you help

Rob

Adero
    Posted: Feb 10, 2009 11:32 AM
    Adero
    Phoenix, AZ
    View Profile

Excellent question. You may have a new business model to offer in communities that have universities. For starters I would recommend Portland OR because of the excellent transportation situation. You would probably need to identify a community location and ride the train to the campus but a great start for establishing community around education might be the Student Life office at Portland State University.

Another Oregon possibility would be the University of Oregon. Contact Duck's Village (as they offer summer housing on campus for Sun Birds - people migrating out of the desert each summer). They would probably be interested in your idea and interest.

If you want to talk more contact me directly. We focus on working with adults in transition. While this is not our particulat area i would love to brainstorm on this idea with you. Corp. Site http://TA-plus.com - my Blog site http://TAplus@wordpress.com

Post your reply

Do you have some thoughts to add or some advice to give?
Only registered Boomeraters can post replies. Log in to your account or Sign up now (it's free)

Looking for the perfect place to relocate?

Read reviews of towns written by other Boomeraters to help make your decision.

Find your perfect town, search for senior living or home care