How Romantic Are You?
A Valentine's Quiz to Test Your Memory and Warm Your Heart
(Answers appear at the end of the quiz)
1. Who were Rick Blaine and Ilsu Lund?
2. Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?
3. In what animated Disney movie from 1955 did the two leads share a romantic spaghetti dinner at an Italian café called Tony's?
4. How many times was Elizabeth Taylor married to Richard Burton?
5. Who engaged in "Pillow Talk" in 1959?
6. What famous monument in Agra, India was built as a memorial by King Khurram to his beloved queen?
7. What U.S. landmark was featured in the final moments of the movies "An Affair to Remember" and "Sleepless in Seattle"? Bonus: Who were the famous actors who played the couples in each film?
8. What Central Park landmark was dedicated to one of the world's most famous musicians by his grieving wife in memory of their love?
9. In the 1955 tune "Love and Marriage" go together like what?
10. Who sang "Love Will Keep Us Together"?
11. What band performed "She Loves You"?
12. What 50's icon recorded "Love Me Tender"?
Romantic Books and the Movies they Inspired
13. Who wrote "Love Means Never Having to Say you're Sorry"? Bonus: who were the actors who starred in this tear-jerker?
14. Clint Eastwood was not famous for playing the romantic lead. One exception is this movie from a 1992 novel by Robert James Walker. What is the name of this bestselling love story? (Hint: Eastwood's co-star was Meryl Streep)
15. Who wrote the jungle love stories of Tarzan and Jane? Who starred as Tarzan, Jane and Boy in the most popular series of the movies?
Who are these Famous Lovers?
16. Married in 1939, this Hollywood couple called each other Ma and Pa. Very much in love, their marriage ended just 3 years later when she died in an airplane crash.
17. Both of these actors were among the most beloved in Hollywood history. They met on the set of "Woman of the Year" and made 8 movies together. Though their relationship spanned 25 years they never married.
18. On what movie set did Humphrey Bogart fall for his future wife, Lauren Bacall?
19. What famous romance resulted in the abdication of the Royal throne of England?
20. In 1930 Chic Young introduced this couple to the American public in a comic strip that became one of the longest in history. Bonus points if you remember their last names.
21. These lover outlaws were partners in crime.. Name the couple and extra points if you can name the actors that made this infamous couple famous in the movies.
22. Did Cleopatra and Antony's scandalous love affair end in marriage, death, divorce or estrangement?.
23. Who is reported to have said "Greater love has no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends."?
24. What famous 50's TV comedian and movie icon said "Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house"?
25. What first lady said "I married the first man I ever kissed. When I tell my children that, they just about throw up"?
1. Rick Blaine and Ilsu Lund were the main characters in the beloved 1943 Academy Award Winning Picture, "Casablanca". They were played by Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.
2. Marilyn's third and final husband was playwright Arthur Miller. She married her first husband, James Dougherty, at 16 years old; her second was baseball legend, Joe DiMaggio.
3. Lady and the Tramp share a very long spaghetti string to the romantic song "Bella Note"
4. Liz married Richard twice. She married a total of 8 times to 7 men. Among her husbands were Conrad Hilton, Jr., heir to the Hilton Hotel chain, actor Eddie Fisher and businessman Michael Todd
5. Rock Hudson and Doris Day had fun with "Pillow Talk"
6. Work on the famous Taj Majal began in 1633 and took the labor of 20,000 workers to complete it 17 years later
7. In both movies one of the final scenes takes place at the top of New York City's Empire State Building. "An Affair to Remember" starred Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr; "Sleepless in Seattle" starred Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
8. Strawberry Fields was dedicated to John Lennon by Yoko Ono. It was named not only for the well-known song "Strawberry Fields Forever", but also to commemorate an orphanage in Liverpool, where Lennon grew up. The black and white mosaic with the inscribed word "Imagine" is homage to another of Lennon's songs
9. Love and Marriage go together like a horse and carriage (… this I tell you brother, you can't have one without the other) The song was introduced by Frank Sinatra in the television production of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town".
10. In 1975 the husband and wife team of Captain and Tennille recorded "Love Will Keep Us Together"
11. The Beatle's hit "She Loves You" was recorded in 1963 and is the best-selling single in the United Kingdom
12. In 1956 Elvis Presley recorded the song "Love me Tender"; it was also his first film. He went on to star in 30 more films.
13. Erich Segal's first novel, Love Story included the famous line. The blockbuster film starred Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw
14. The Bridges of Madison County was Robert James Walker's popular love story.
15. Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote Tarzan the Ape Man. In subsequent novels Tarzan and Jane had one son, Jack, who took the ape name Korak. In the popular movie series Olympic swimmer, Johnny Weissmuller played Tarzan, Maureen O' Sullivan played Jane Porter, and their son was known simply as "Boy", played by Johnny Sheffield.
16. Clark Gable and Carole Lombard
17. Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
18. The movie was "To Have and to Have Not", adapted from the Hemingway novel. Bogie was 45, his lovely co-star and soon to be wife was only 19.
19. In 1936 King-Emperor Edward VIII abdicated the throne to propose marriage to his beloved Wallis Simpson, a twice-divorced American socialite
20. Chic Young gave us Blondie and Dagwood. Their full names were Blondie Boopadoop; his was Dagwood Bumstead
21. The 1967 movie was "Bonnie and Clyde". Faye Dunaway played Bonnie Parker and Warren Beatty played Clyde Barrow in the very successful crime drama.
22. They were married and had three children together. He was already married at the time he married Cleopatra, but Egyptian law recognized the marriage.
23. Jesus Christ is reported to have said this in John 15:13 in the New Testament of the Bible
24. Groucho Marx
25. Barbara Bush was the candid first lady
Two other Boomerater articles for Valentine's Day: